Wednesday, March 16, 2011

it's ice, real ice!

Recently my role (I suppose that's what you would call it) has begun to change a bit - like every part of my life really - and I'm having to work out where and how a pregnant Kirsty fits into things.

I've been a youth group leader in our church for years, and I'm finding this role one of the strangest ones that I'm trying to navigate. I find myself being a lot more reserved, physically, mentally & spiritually (not sure if thats just me trying to conserve much needed energy, or deal with the change in my role and the stepping back that I know is coming), but I do miss getting in there are running around with the students, playing silly games and the like. We've always had so much fun.

I suppose I feel myself becoming more of the youth group mum, taking photos, keeping a special eye out for the younger girls, and looking after the bags, shoes and anything that students do and will lose when you go anywhere new.

Last friday night was the whole deal. We took forty something students to the local ice skating rink for some pre-winter fun. It was a great night (lovely to have a cold nose for a few hours), and everyone came home with all their fingers intact (my biggest fear is getting your fingers run over when you fall over). So, mum Kirsty was sitting on the edge with a few kids, watching the bags etc, and this one little boy, who'd just completed his first lap on the ice, stopped and exclaimed to me that "IT'S ICE, IT'S REAL ICE!" He made my night. I'm not sure what he expected to find at an ice skating rink, but he was so over-joyed that it was in fact real ice!

Another memorable quote from the night included one student telling a female leader that she had acne issues that she needed to resolve, pointing at the leaders cheek. I appreciate that students/children are totally ok to say such honest things, and don't intend to be harmful with such words (well, not in this case).

Anyway, we had a wonderful night and at the end something which always happens and use to frustrate me, but now more so amuses me quite a lot occurred. As all the students removed their skates, and put their shoes back on, there were (and always are) a handful of students who do not hesitate to declare "someone has STOLEN my shoes!" It just floats off the tongue. Why would someone steal your shoes? I mean really! The conversation usually progresses to "what colour are they?" "brown" "is that them under the chair?" "yes." Without a doubt, I had that conversation at least 6 times.

This is Lisa, Brandon and Rennae. Lisa was lucky enough to get retro lights.

IMG_8321

IMG_8395

IMG_8325

No comments:

Post a Comment